VOCATION TO SERVE
Sem. Saturcito Velasco Jr.

It has been my passion to serve our young leaders of today — kids.  I started my mission in 2010. I served as a volunteer youth catechist to the kids in our parish during summer. I preferred to teach the senior kids ages 10-12. I also served as a heart champ servant to the kids in the Couples for Family and Life- Kids for Family and Life. We went to the different mission areas of the CFC to hold a Kids Assembly. We taught the kids some songs, animations, and the basic catechism of the church.

When I entered the seminary, my ministry to the kids was halted. In the seminary, service is also a part of our life, but it is not particularly for the kids. In our apostolate I have served a lot of people even those whom I do not even know. My happiness is great, but deep within me has stayed my longing to serve the kids once more.

The opportunity for me came when we were planning how to celebrate the feast of our dormitory’s patron saint, St. Thomas Aquinas.  One of my classmates suggested an outreach program. We deliberated on it and we came up to the idea of a Kids Assembly. So last January 31, 2015, the first-ever class outreach program   came to reality in the Gawad Kalinga Village in Dauis, Bohol. The parish priest Rev. Fr.  Fermin Bugtong, who was very happy that we chose their parish as recipient of our activity, warmly welcomed us. After our courtesy call to the parish priest, we went to our venue. We were able to gather about 50 kids. We taught them songs and animations and some catechism. We also had some interactive games such as Simon Says, Anagram Challenge, Name Game and Bring Me.

One of my memorable experiences in our outreach program happened while I was leading the animation song entitled Every Move I Make.  Three little cute kids -- two beautiful girls named Jillian and Nina, and one cute little boy named Rondo hugged my hips. I took them to their seats, but few minutes later, the three came back to me because they wanted to sit on my lap. Seeing in their eyes the bliss, I was moved in charm, so I carried them one by one and let them sit on my lap.  I was moved more when they said to me: “Kuya Satur, we are really happy. We hope it’s always like this.” They hugged me and I felt their affection for me and for all of us. Then we talked and talked.  Lunch came and I assisted Jillian in eating. I spooned her rice and the fried chicken. She said that she missed her father doing it because her father is always busy. She is a hyperactive and energetic girl. After our lunch in our concluding activity, we danced the animation again. Rondo and Jillian came to me and wanted to be carried. So I carried them, Jillian on my right arm and Rondo on my left. After dancing, we had a game and we gave them tokens in form of rosary beads, scapulars and crucifix necklaces. Jillian with her friends came to me and she requested me to put the necklaces on them, and I did.

It was indeed a fulfilling experience for us First Year College Seminarians. Despite our tired bodies, we still continued to smile because of those kids who touched our hearts—the bottom of our hearts. Their smiles—their authentic smiles were our great reward to cherish. The contentment and pleasure we experienced was priceless and incalculable. It is really in service that we could feel the genuine joy and the contentment in our hearts.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featuring the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tagbilaran