Hodgepodge

SATURATED
Sem. Saturcito Velasco, Jr.

E
very time I do my vocation campaign in schools, I always ask the students on how they define love. Some students say that love is like a bubblegum, when it sticks to you, I will make you crazy. Others say that love is a strong feeling towards man and woman and vice versa. Others say that love is no forever. Others say that love is God. Youth nowadays keeps on finding love wherever they go. Including me, I made my posts on my facebook and instagram but still don’t find love. If I could find love it is just ephemeral.
            I remember a 50-year old churchman on one of the parishes where I was assigned. He is a lay minister, an altar server, an organist, a catechist, a speaker, a flower arranger and a meek and humble man. He’s incredible. He’s a father of three sons and a one daughter. All of his children are successful on their life. His eldest son is a seaman and residing now in the city. His younger and youngest son is now in UAE working as an engineer and an architect. His only daughter is now married and also a teacher in their local school. His house is just a few steps away the church and he is the only one staying there. His family left him because of their profession and his wife was already dead.
I asked him all about his life and why he devout himself in the service of the church. His words struck me most when he said; “I am here because he is the only one who haven’t left me. My service in this church is priceless. Despite my children support me financially, I still find love and joy in serving the parish. Indeed I belong here.”
            Love transcends time and space. It goes beyond one’s fulfillment. Love impels us to do things out of our limit. Love is not ephemeral, it is forever. It is not a feeling because it not only concealed in our mind but also to our whole totality as a being. In a famous Latin dictum which states; ”Nemodat quod non habet”, this signifies that one cannot give love if he in himself don’t have it. Most of the youth nowadays love only to satisfy his longing or to jive on the trend. Love is not just giving a part to someone but giving it as a totality.

            Love is the sweetest thing on Earth yet is also gives us the adverse of it. Yet with the strong heart, strong mind and strong faith, love surpasses it. It depends on our willingness if we will pursue it. God’s love is forever. Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featuring the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tagbilaran